caret icon Back to all discussions

Alcoholism and Alzheimer's

My hubby is a chronic alcoholic of 40 years. Approx a case of light beer every other day.
He was diagnosed with Early onset Alzheimer's in 2017. He is now 65. Early in his disease he became aggressive, but medication controlled that very well.
Neurologist states he will be in a nursing home in approx 6 months due to his progression of the disease. I feel more like a year due to his good physical health.
The advice needed is how do I dry him out and when? He needs to be dry and all behavioral problems need to be corrected before placement. Otherwise I risk not getting him in where I want him...or getting him kicked out!
I really, really, really want to talk to a couple of people who have had this same problem.

1. Hi @Suee, there are three drugs that have been approved to help curb the desire for alcohol and help with withdrawal: Disulfiram, Naltrexone and Acamprosate. Your husband's doctor should be able to recommend something appropriate for your husband. I hope that helps. - Warmly, Donna (team member)

Please read our rules before posting.