What Therapy Options Are There for People with Alzheimer’s?
Written by: Jaime Rochelle Herndon | Last reviewed: June 2019
- National Institute on Aging. How is Alzheimer’s Disease Treated? 2018. https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/how-alzheimers-disease-treated Accessed May 13, 2019.
- Carrion C, Folkvord F, Anastasiadou D, Aymerich M. Cognitive therapy for dementia patients: A systematic review. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2018; 46: 1-26. Doi: 10.1159/000490851 Accessed May 16, 2019.
- Bahar-Fuchs A, Clare L, Woods B. Cognitive training and cognitive rehabilitation for persons with mild to moderate dementia of the Alzheimer’s or vascular type: A review. Alzheimers Res Ther. 2013; 5(4): 35. Doi: 10.1186/alzrt189 Accessed May 16, 2019.
- Forstmeier S, Maercker A, Savaskan E, Roth T. Cognitive behavioural treatment for mild Alzheimer’s patients and their caregivers (CBTAC): Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2015; 16: 526. Doi: 10.1186/s13063-015-1043-0 Accessed May 16, 2019.
- The American Occupational Therapy Association. Alzheimer’s Disease Tip Sheet. https://www.aota.org/About-Occupational-Therapy/Patients-Clients/Adults/Alzheimers.aspx 2011. Accessed May 16, 2019.
- Fang R, Ye S, Huangfu J, Calimag DP. Music therapy is a potential intervention for cognition of Alzheimer’s disease: A mini-review. Transl Neurodegener. 2017; 6: 2. Doi: 10.1186/s40035-017-0073-9
- Panza GA, Taylor BA, MacDonald HV, Johnson BT, Zaleski AL, Livingston J et al. Can exercise improve cognitive symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease? Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2018; 66(3): 487-495. Doi: 10.1111/jgs.15241 Alzheimer’s Association. Stay Physically Active. 2019. https://www.alz.org/help-support/brain_health/stay_physically_active Accessed May 16, 2019.